Dateline: June 17th, 2015
1. Haagen-Dazs was started by a Jewish couple in the Bronx. They made up the name using nonsense words that sounded foreign. But they sued another ice cream company called Frusen Gladje in 1980 for using a foreign-sounding name. Except “frusen gladje” actually means “frozen delight” in Swedish. So Haagen-Dazs lost.
2. In 1983, NASA engineers asked Sally Ride if 100 tampons would be enough for her one week in space.
3. Bangladesh hasn’t elected a male prime minister since 1989.
4. It’s illegal to pretend to practice witchcraft in Canada, but it’s legal to practice witchcraft if you’re doing it for real.
5. Vanna White is half Puerto Rican. Her father was a guy from Puerto Rico named Miguel Angel Rosich. But he abandoned the family, so she took her last name from her stepfather, Herbert White.